Friday, December 27, 2013

Myths & Tales: Bringing hatred/divisions..."Vundulamadzi" bird?

In the 1981 Unlendo Series Mtunda 3 Chichewa for Standard 3 above there is a tale about a bird called Vundulamadzi which caused friction between two villages by dirtying the water which women were drawing from a chitsime (well).
This caused divisions in two villages who were sharing the well as women from each side thought the other deliberately made the water dirty or something like that. Well the tale talks about the bird being happy when it sees hatred, death and fights.
I’m curious to know from the learned and translators if such a bird exists and if it does, is this the  mythical stories of the cormorant? A Facebook friend posted that:
“I don’t like both the Reed Cormorant and African Darter because they prey on the fish in my dam. They visit my dam on a daily basis for fish and it is part of our routine to be on the lookout for them and chase them away.”
Those many fellow Malawians familiar with these tales and birds of Malawi please share as I never learned these things in school abroad so I need to know the correct translations of birds and mythical things in English.

No comments:

Post a Comment


Took this picture of children in Milange, Mozambique admiring visiting Malawian children

Tracing footsteps to lead me home

Greetings from the Warm Heart Africa, Malawi.

I'm a Malawian journalist who grew up in many countries including South Africa, Belgium, then West Germany, UK, Washington DC and New York in the US and I love New York.

Trying to come up with the production of my life and by compiling some of my 1000 poems into a book called ‘Tracing Footsteps’ to lead me Home with excellent photography.

I also plan to film award winning documentaries based on the history of this ancient land called Malawi and the mysteries of Sapitwa and the Sirius star.

.....watch this space.


Pages