Sunday, December 22, 2013

Myths & Tales: “The Sun was fighting”

Took this photo of a sunset at a Liwonde lodge years ago

It was a sunny morning which started off cold and cloudy as if it would rain but alas no rain and warm weather as I headed out of my home on Saturday, December 21, 2013 around 8:30am to meet an IT person at the office.

On my mind was information I read on a blog on The Washington Post Post website that Saturday December 21 was the Winter Solstice in the Northern Hemisphere, the “shortest daylight period and longest night of the year.”

I also read that at 12:11 p.m. EST on December 21, the sun appears directly overhead along the Tropic of Capricorn, at 23.5 degrees south latitude.

“With the Earth’s north pole at its maximum tilt from the sun, locations north of the equator see the sun follow its lowest and shortest arc across the southern sky. For the next six months, the days again grow longer as the sun spends more time above the horizon,” partly read http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs.

When I used Google to find out about Malawi, information posted on http://weatherspark.com/history/29154/2013/Blantyre-Southern-Region-Malawi on Saturday stated that the December Solstice (Summer Solstice) was on “Saturday, December 21, 2013 at 7:11PM in Blantyre and in locations south of Equator, the longest day of the year is around this date.”
I also learned that in Malawi, the summer and winter solstices and the spring and fall equinoxes mark the passing of the seasons.
Sometime later I looked up at the sky and noticed the sun shining but didn’t stare at it and suddenly felt its heat as if it was not cold in the morning but eventually it still was not humid for most of the day.
I felt sick and I was worried my BP might be high but I forced myself to travel to my destination as I read online that happenings in space don’t affect one’s health.
The words sun and moon came to me because in some ancient tales it related to the two being opposites of each other.  Not sure if they have different forces but that is something that needs to be investigated.

Knowing that some female Sapitwa healers had left for Mulanje Mountain some three days before, I got curious and wanted to know if they came down the mountain.

I tried one of their phones and luckily she answered but told me she was still at Sapitwa. Years back she told us about huge rocks heading towards earth and the rest of her story is in my upcoming book.

Without beating about the bush I asked her why they had not finished what they were doing and she laughed and again spoke in nthano talk (like parables) with a few words.

She told me about nkhondo (war) within the sun and told me when it meets darkness, ziwanda (demons) there will be fighting (nkhondo) and I was like what on earth is she talking about so I laughed it off and cut the line.

For the rest of the day I noticed some clouds gathering but not much activity until I read online about 10 solar flares on that day.

According to http://www.tesis.lebedev.ru/en/sun_flares.html 10 solar flares were observed on Saturday, December 21 and by 11am Malawi time, 6 had been observed on Sunday, December 22.

“Every night, a network of NASA all-sky cameras scans the skies above the United States for meteoritic fireballs. Automated software maintained by NASA's Meteoroid Environment Office calculates their orbits, velocity, penetration depth in Earth's atmosphere and many other characteristics,” partly reads http://spaceweather.com which reported 10 fireballs.

However it also reported potentially hazardous asteroids on Sunday, December 22, 2013. Such asteroids were described as “space rocks larger than approximately 100m that can come closer to Earth than 0.05 AU. None of the known PHAs is on a collision course with our planet, although astronomers are finding new ones all the time.”

Upcoming Earth-asteroid encounters include 2011 YD29 on December 28 and 2007 SJ on January 21, 2014. When I read those words I remembered what the Sapitwa woman of Nyangu said.

Early on Sunday morning I also found a photo posted on the Twitter handle @SunViewer which sounded a bit similar to what she told me.

“I see two #solar flare handpuppets fighting!  What can you see?,”is what I read on Twitter.

Photo taken from Sun Viewer @(SunViewer on Twitter

While another handle joked about a dragon shaving and I laughed. 

This tickled my brain because I wondered if the female healer could see right into space unlike us with our two eyes avoiding the sun and many things far away in the universe.

These women are very secretive and not that educated but with writings that look like hieroglyphics.  

One which I accidently saw years back when visiting them in Mulanje seemed to explain the journey of the soul or something.

Because of their ancient beliefs including what I would call their Sapitwa Book of the Dead and their beliefs in a god and spirits, these women are not taken seriously by society and to date there is nothing about them in books or online.  

To date most of their history remains oral and their today a fading shadow some of us try to catch and document.

This blog was written on Saturday, December 21 and completed today on Sunday, December 22 with the latest information being that 19 flares happened in the past 24 hours but the good news is that it poses no danger to one’s health.   

It has been a day when Science meets myths and tales.....watch this space for the real story about the Mwalawanthunzi (Rock of the Shade/Shadow) which is located along the Thyolo road.

“In colonial times the road constructors supposedly failed to get rid of it, as it kept returning to its original spot overnight. They thus had to divert the road," reads http://www.malawithewarmheart.com/imageviewer.php?imageid=879
I caused a stir leaning on the Mwala Wa Nthunzi




No comments:

Post a Comment


Took this picture of children in Milange, Mozambique admiring visiting Malawian children

Tracing footsteps to lead me home

Greetings from the Warm Heart Africa, Malawi.

I'm a Malawian journalist who grew up in many countries including South Africa, Belgium, then West Germany, UK, Washington DC and New York in the US and I love New York.

Trying to come up with the production of my life and by compiling some of my 1000 poems into a book called ‘Tracing Footsteps’ to lead me Home with excellent photography.

I also plan to film award winning documentaries based on the history of this ancient land called Malawi and the mysteries of Sapitwa and the Sirius star.

.....watch this space.


Pages